Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Who could abandon this?


In true April at her parents style I found a dog. As a kid I was always bringing home dogs I found on my paper route and then we would find their home or find them a new home. This morning when I was running out of the garage with Madison to catch up with the kids who had already started down to meet the bus I step out of the garage and there is the cutest little beagle. She walks right up to Madison and lets her pet her. She then follows us down to the road. My parents place is on six acres out of town, not really close to anything. We called the rescue places and vets in the area and apparently they said that so far no one has reported her missing and that it is very normal here for people to just abandon dogs when they move and that they very rarely have a home. We are falling in love with her already. She is so well behaved and just lets Madison and Mathew pet her all over, I think the cats may even give her a chance. Her ribs are sticking out pretty well so we don't think she hasn't eaten for a while and when dad went and got food for her she gobbled it super fast. Her snout and belly look really red like a rash or scratches or something so we are trying to figure out what that is. I gave her a bath because as much as I love dogs I will not touch them if they reek. She is all shiny now and we will keep her here while we wait for someone to claim her. If I knew we were going to live in Charleston I would take her in a heartbeat, she is soooo sweet and just the right size. I really can't imagine anyone abandoning such a dog but it happens which breaks my heart. I am trying not to fall too much in love with the dog but my dad and mom are taken to her so I think if she needs a home for true they will keep her for their own, although I think they would rather I take her and then they could just see her when they visit. I am going out now to take pictures and I will post them so you can all see her. We are trying to find something to call her since we don't want to refer to her just as the dog, we are all going to weigh in but would appreciate any suggestions.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I've always wanted a dog named "Rufus." I guess that won't work to well if she's a girl. Seriously, though, dogs can have allergies too. If her rash seems itchy, you can give her some of my dad's serum. Works like a charm!