Sunday, September 7, 2008

The smartest kids in class


The kids had their first day and they really were thrilled to be back in school.

Carl came home to let us know he was dubbed the smartest in class by the other students. It has something to do with his talking about stalagmites and the other kids not knowing what those were. He got a project assignment right away, we were to collect ten bugs and mount them. Everyone in the house got in on the collecting and even Madison came running upstairs with a tissue in her hand so excited about catching a spider for Carl's collection. My mom and I helped him put it together and it looked really good. His teacher said she would pick the best three to present at the county fair and Carl's was picked. He was so excited. They also were picking a student counsel and they had to give a one minute speech about why they would be good. Carl came home and told me about it and told me about his speech. He stood up and said that they should vote for him because the scriptures are by his side and he makes his decisions based on them and they are his favorite thing. He did not get picked though showing that religion apparently has no place in politics at any level. I told him he would be my pick though every day. He has also started teaching himself to play piano. I went downstairs and he was clinking on it and reading my old piano book from when I was a kid. Today he came running to me to let me know that he can now read the notes with out the letters on them. I have him set up for piano lessons now since I think I better take advantage of his enthusiasm. He practices all the time on his own.


Ha-Na started school and it came out they felt she should go to kindergarten because of the the large age difference between her and the other kids. She came home and told me what they were doing in kindergarten and I asked her what she thought of it and she said it is all "Easy, peasy, lemon easy." I sure hope this teacher keeps her active for her own sake. She does like that they have a rest time and wants to take her blankie to school with her. The first grade teacher gave me their workbook to do at home with her and is sending work to Ha-Na's teacher to send home for her to do also. She is very busy with all the work but she loves a challenge.


Madison is having a great time at home with us and she loves walking the goats with me. She gave a talk in church today and did a great job, she loves being in front of the people. We saw some mice outside and in the garage and in the grain for the goats so we decided it would be good to get some cats. We took Madison and she helped pick out two farm kittens. They have been hours of entertainment for the girls and they are actually really great cats and that is saying a lot coming from me. I just hope they get to be good mousers so they can earn their keep.

No comments: