Sunday, March 24, 2013

Rising Star Outreach Trip - Day 1


So the adventure began.  Last night Carl and I hopped on a plane bound for India.  We knew it was going to be an adventure, what awaits us, is so exciting.  We got to the airport got checked in, at the Abu Dhabi Airport.  So the pecking order for flights in Abu Dhabi is Etihad (the Abu Dhabi owned airlines) flights that are bound for western countries are out of the nice new terminal, Terminal 3.  Then western airlines fly out of the older, but still nice.  Then the India bound flights are out of the ground floor of Terminal 1.  Think of an airport circa 1975!  When we got down there, we were the only white guys in the entire building.  People kept asking where we were going, and then looked at us as if we were in the wrong area.  After the plane boarded,  the flight attendant announced that they were going to pass through the cabin with a "non-toxic" bug spray.  And sure enough the stewardess comes walking down the aisle with a can in both hands, blasting a fogger spray.  The aerosol spray got crud in my mouth it was really awful.  Throughout the flight the little girl behind me went after my chair like she was a kung fu star, and my chair was its sparring dummy.  So no sleep on that flight.  We landed in Chennai, India at 0400 in the morning.  It took over an hour to get our bags, I started to panic that we were going to be without bags for awhile.  Luckily the hotel was there to fetch us from the airport.  Carl explained to me that he could not sleep on the plane since he can't sleep on things that are motorized.  I laughed and said that you did not sleep since he was playing games and watching shows.  He was aghast that I would suggest such a thing, but he was out within two turns.  That is saying something too, since we were on Indian roads.  
When we woke up we booked a car from the hotel to take us around the city for a tour.  First we went to St. Thomas church.  There are 3 churches in the world that are said to be built on top of the remains of the Christ's apostles tombs.  This is one of them.  So we went and saw that, which was interesting.  Then off to the world's or India's largest beach, I did not understand it, and it was dirty and not that nice.  Then we went to a Shiva temple.  They were having a festival so there were people everywhere.  It was rather interesting.  We were not able to go in since there were so many people.  Hopefully on the return trip we will be able to stop there.  Then we did some shopping in random places around the city.  We found some really nice silk things for the girls and a couple of other treasures that we will be adorning the house with.  I am amazed by India, the vastness and the sea of people.  My heart goes out to the poverty state of some of the people here.  I saw a mom sleeping on the street with 3 naked kids around her.  My heart broke for her plight.  
I am so happy to be here with my boy, for an opportunity to serve those who cannot do for themselves.  I hope and pray for the spririt of the Lord to be with us for the next week.  Thanks to all who are supporting from home. 
Tomorrow we are going to be meet up with the Rising Star Outreach group and off to the colonies, the real service begins tomorrow.  For now, it is sleepy time, cause tomorrow is going to be a long day.

No comments: