Thursday, March 28, 2013

Rising Star Outreach - Day 5


Ok, so not a terribly long post today since it is really late and the internet was down half of the night.  but on a bonus side the power has only gone out one time tonight, issue was I was just getting out the shower.  So that was rather dark.   Today we had school duty and the other group went to colony.  We get to the computer lab to work with the kids on fractions and multiplication.  So that was fun.  We had fun with that.  Some kids are so smart and rip through the material and others really struggle.  I tried to help as much as I could.  The next it was off to reading time in the library.  I had a little girl and we took turns reading "On the bank of Plum Creek", the girl was really really good at reading, but it is hard to comprehend 1800's prairie culture if you have never understood the American prairie.  It was rather interesting.  I guess I took for granted being able to conceptualize that kind of life.  Next we went to eat with the kids at the dining hall.  This was really fun.  I kind of dragged Carl to it, and the others did not want to go, but I want to spend as much time with them as possible.  So Carl and I went over to the dining hall and sat with the bays and ate lunch.  That was a really good time to get to know the kids.  They were beaming with excitement that we took the time to eat with them.  After lunch and a nap, we went back to the computer room for more tutoring this time it was an older group.  I sat with three girls from the 7th Standard class.  They were working on fractions.  I was really proud that I was able to remember the fractions.  After computer lab we were supposed to go to do a class for the 9th standard about values, but they were all at the hospital for check-ups.  So were got a little break before going to play with the UKG kids.  UKG time was really hot, too hot to go out of the shade, so we stayed close to the hostel shade and enjoyed some time there.  We played different games.  Then it was general play time.  I played one-on-one basketball with one of the boys.  I lost, but had a great time.  Although now my quad is really hurting.  Finally we had prayer time with the kids.  It was really a good one.  We talked about gratitude and I showed off the pictures of the whole family.  It was really cute when I carried around the tablet with the pictures up on it.  They would touch the screen and say "God bless" and they would bless the family.  It just means so much to them that we are here with them.  I am not sure what I was expecting when we came here, but it has exceeded my expectations in so many ways. 
Thoughts from Carl:
day three was enjoyable.  We helped people who had leprosy.  they beamed at us as we washed their (occasional almost nonexistence) feet 
then we went to see a birds sanctuary.  You would not believe the different amount of birds there.  we came back for general playtime and we played Magic.
Day four we went to the hospital.  The man we where in charge of was over the moon.  Then we came back for general play time and played Magic again (this game didn't end yet).  I was whopped.
Day 5 we taught.  It was in the computer lab and i had to juggle two trouble makers by my self. we left for a mini break and then came back.  this time i insisted that i be in charge of one child, so i found one.  HE. WAS.  A.  MATH..WIZA!!!! Then we left for UKG time and came back to the lab and i had to stop one kid from getting the awnsers from another.  then i went to bed, but the Magic game finnally ended.

No comments: