Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Rising Star Outreach Trip -- Day 4


Click here to view these pictures larger

So day 4 is over, which is really rather sad.  It means that it is flying by way too fast and we are not able to do everything.  It was another incredible day, then of course all of the days seem to be words like amazing, incredible, ect.  So we started bright and early since we were taking a group of kids and patients to Chennai to the big hospital there to get things done.  We gathered up the kids and we waited for the teacher van to get here since it "had A/C"  It blew something that might be considered A/C at one point in time.  It no longer had A/C, it was rather hot in the van.  We then went to two different colonies to pick up three patients, those who are afflicted with leprosy.  And off to Chennai.  We went to the hospital there, which was huge, and circa 1970's hospital.  When we got out we broke into groups.  Carl and I were assigned Rajeth from the outreach and Issac from the colony.  Rajeth needed an eye check-up and Issac had just had a successful cataract surgery and needed a check-up.  We breezed into opthamology and they were seen almost instantly which was kind of amazing.  I then got into issues when the nurse started to ask questions about Rajeth that I could not answer.  Luckily Navamando (the Head Nurse from the outreach program) came by and bailed us out of that one.  Then we took Issac to the head of Opthamology to get looked at.  They were really nice.  I really loved the attitude and demeanor of Issac.  He was so very happy-go-lucky.  It made me smile, because every two to three minutes he would look over to us and smile.  Most of the patients from the colonies don't speak English, so we act out a lot.  He has at this point in his illness lost most of his fingers, and a fair number of toes.  He struggles to get around, but does so with a really light conscience.  He really inspired me, and made me think, about how I carry myself.  I think there is definitely some improvement there.  After the doctor's visit we waited for the rest of the group, they took a fair amount of time to get back.  So I let the boys from the outreach play with the tablet, they really loved it.  They got it taken away if one of them cursed when they died or fought over it.  After the hospital we went to St. Thomas' Mount.  It was supposedly where St. Thomas was stoned to death.  It had amazing views of the city.  I had to pay 10 Rupees, so I made the most of it.  The pics are in the slide show, I am going to inflict the 10 Rupees on all that are reading the blog.  They had a Mother Teressa Statue there, I am not too sure if she ever visited the spot, but after having been here and served here, I can say I have huge respect for her.  After that we stopped by Dominoes for some pizza, it was OK.  They did have on the menu for a pizza called the Boloroni pizza, which is a pizza and pasta bake in one.  So it is crust, noodles with sauce, cheese, and toppings.  It was rather nasty sounding, we definitely did not get it, but it apparently the favorite of the outreach kids.  We then returned to the outreach and went out for playtime and then prayer time.  Both were great.  Prayertime I taught them some Russian.  Which was fun.
I don't think that I can properly put into words the feelings that I have here.  The closeness with the Savior and the love I have for the people here.  I love this experience, makes me think that I definitely need to find more outlets for service, within and without the walls of my home, to give more freely with all that I do.  I know that this experience will bring me closer to my Heavenly Father.

No comments: