Thursday, October 16, 2014

Getting my hair done!! oh yea, and Flamenco Dancing!

     Carl had to go to his conference today so I had the morning to myself.  I caught up on school stuff for the kids and worked on getting day 2's blog done.  Kind of boring but it was nice to have some time to myself with no interruptions (ie, kids).

     I have a really hard time with getting my hair done in Abu Dhabi.  I have tried a ton of places and I am really fed up with getting terrible hair cuts.  I did have one person that I liked but she is not there anymore:(.  So, I made an appointment and ventured out.

     I am terrified of getting lost!  When I say that I mean that when I go out of the house without written instructions (turn left here, right here) my heart starts to beat quickly and my mind goes into panic mode.  I am truly terrified.  So for me to head out on the subway with a change of lines to get to downtown and then find my way by myself is a very big deal.  I almost canceled my plan of getting my hair done because I was afraid.  I know it seems really silly but this is me.

     I did it though and I found it!  I even went to lunch by myself.

     I was really nervous about communicating but it was no problem and I am thrilled to have shorter hair.  I think I lost 5 inches which will be great for the hot weather we have at home.
There was a school group from the us sitting behind us.  They kept photo-bombing us.  We let them know we knew what they were doing but we were ok with it.  

     Carl met me after his meetings and we just walked around for a while.  We went to the area where the cruise ships let off and man, it was crazy.  I really hate all the kitschy stuff they try to pawn off on tourists.  This part of town was not my favorite.  There were some street performers but they were not great.  I think because I have seen the remarkable ones in New York and Washington DC I have a high expectation.

That night we went to a Flamenco show.  I was not sure what it was going to be like.  The seating was strange and uncomfortable.  It was a great show!  It went a little long but man can those women stomp and click their feet.

It reminded me a lot of clogging.  One of the dancers was pregnant, it was impressive for her to be able to dance like that while being with child!

After the show got out we wandered about the little alleys.  They emptied quickly as we were looking for somewhere to eat and it was a little creepy.  Lots of dark alleys as the shops were all closed.  We found a sandwich shop and YUM.  I have decided that the delicious things here are Spanish Sandwiches, Chocolate, and pastries.  Although delicious, after a week I would like a real meal that is tasty.



We found Mannas Gelato again.  It really is the best!

No comments: