Monday, February 9, 2009

Holy Cake Batman!!!

Carl's birthday is today and I made a cake to bring to school. He wanted a batman cake so Carl and I came up with the design. It was a lot of fun and everyone at school was excited about it.


I did three layers, the bottom has bricks with scallop impressions. The second is a marbled darker grey and the third is a medium grey with windows. The banner is made of fondant and designed to look as if it is falling off the building as it topples. The windows are orange to imply there is a fire going on inside the building.




Here it is all put together with the bat signal on top. Behind that you can see the smoke of the building being destroyed (it is actually dry ice in a container placed in the top). Batman is climbing up the side of the building to save it (sorry Katie, we did not have a bat girl toy :))



Here is a closeup with whisps of smoke behind the signal.

We then took Carl and Ha-Na out of school and to the aquarium where Carl had asked to go. It was fun and we even saw dolphins swimming in the bay.

Carl asked to go to AW Shucks to dinner, he really loves seafood. He ordered the seafood bucket which had crab, shrimp, oysters, clams, and muscles. When it arrived the girls suddenly decided that their children meals were not sufficient and began mooching. Big Carl thought he was going to get at least one of little Carl's oysters but the girls and he ate them all and my husband went home oysterless. It was so fun to see them enjoying the seafood, I love that my kids are adventurous eaters, I don't think there are many kids 4, 6 and 9 who would fight over shellfish.

4 comments:

Julie Siegel said...

Yeah, your kids and their shellfish deal grosses me out. But I guess someone has to eat it, right?

Carl and April said...

I love it! It is great that when I make fish and scallops for dinner my kids think it is the best meal ever. lil Carl keeps complaining about missing lamb chops from Bahrain, my kids love awesome stuff!

Kikibug said...

HOLY CAKE IS RIGHT! YOU made that? That is AMAZING. I am even more impressed since I HATE baking cakes, I ruin even simple ones.
I LOVE fish and shellfish as well. I could eat it almost daily and my kids wont touch it. (Well, Carma will eat fried shrimp every once in a while).
Thanks for the potty advice. She has pretty easy bms sometimes and even does for weeks at a time, but when the potty subject comes up too often she holds it. For DAYS. It has been 5 days now again. I give her Miralax every other day, she WILL NOT TOUCH fruit OR veggies, the stinker! What kid doesn't like fruit? I do appreciate you telling me about your girl b/c I feel like she is the only one sometimes.

Katie said...

Maybe it's better that Batman was flying solo on this one (^_~)

Really, though, that is an incredible cake. Wow!

Your kids have the coolest taste in foods! I'll remember to guard my seafood when I'm around them!